Final Script

A lot of people nowadays find it hard to live without social media. 

People use it for networking, showing off their lifestyles, sharing how-tos, and influencing people, whether it is to live a healthier lifestyle or selling products. The media is super beneficial in these ways. When it comes to beauty, it’s helpful in sharing inspiration for makeup, how to put an outfit together, and encouraging self expression. 

But the media can be hurtful when it comes to beauty standards. Although there are different types of beauty standards and people find a way to include all these different types, social media still continues to focus on one type at a time. 

Beauty standards nowadays seem unachievable

Influencers, such as the Kardashians and Fashion Nova Models, make these standards of beauty much more popular. Kylie Jenner, herself, was even influenced to get some of the work she got done. – She once said that she got lip injections because a boy claimed that he didn’t think she would be a good kisser because of her small lips. She often overlined them until she got lip fillers. –

We see these beauty standards take over the media. 

Having a small waist, a big booty, larger breasts, having a smaller nose and big lips are what is highly favored right now. This doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone has to have this. But when people see what they don’t have, they start to compare themselves to others. People then become much more self-conscious of themselves and become insecure.

“Why isn’t my nose shaped like that? I wish I had bigger lips… Ugh, why does this outfit make me look like a box and that same outfit the model was wearing fits her hourglass figure very well? Is the issue really me?”

People start to think they’re not enough when they don’t match what is popular in the media.

It makes girls want to constantly change themselves. Plastic surgery and lip fillers, specifically, is extremely popular. Getting a nose job is also popular and achievable for some. And the more people post about it in the media, the more tempting it is to get it. For example, the filters that are mostly used on instagram make your nose smaller, shape your face, and make your lips bigger. There’s even a filter that’s trending on tiktok with a caption that says, “This is what your face would look like if it was perfect.” I, myself, enjoy using those filters because I’m guilty of liking that more than without those types of filters. Personally, I try my best to like more of the reality of my pics. So, I’d post selfies sometimes with a bare face showing my blemishes with or without makeup, showing those wrinkles and imperfections to prove others that this is reality –  not those filters. But also to say, “I’m proud” [of these imperfections]

Social media and beauty standards affect boys, too.

Just like girls, boys also struggle with body image. Some even struggle with reaching a certain weight – gaining weight could be as difficult as losing weight. Boys may struggle more because it’s harder for them to open up and express themselves, especially with insecurities. So not only are they not able to talk about how they feel because it isn’t considered masculine by society, they have to “toughen up” and pretend those insecurities don’t exist. This eventually affects how they take care of themselves and their behavior.

The overuse of social media can lead to mental health issues for both girls and boys. The constant comparison between self and what is seen through the media can greatly impact mental health, whether it is looks or lifestyles. Dangerously, it can lead to depression, body dysmorphia, anorexia, binge eating, bulimia, and ulcers.

Social media is a great way to connect, inspire, and share but it can lead to long-term impacts that take much longer to recover from. It’s an endless cycle that continues to influence so many people – even the younger generations that make them express themselves a certain way that makes them act and look older and the pressure to prove themselves to the world. This mindset, as a result of being on social media too much, teaches but also shapes you.