Interviews

In my interview with Paola, we will discuss some personal things, especially her growth. Paola will tell her story through this series of questions that will dive into her past, present, and future. I hope to understand her better and would like to connect with her through this interview.

For the first question, I want to talk about what you did during COVID since this pandemic had such a huge impact on our lives. What are your personal goals coming from COVID? How have you transitioned from quarantine to now when things started to open back up?

I started owning a business during COVID. I’ve gotten far and want to go somewhere with it. I learned a lot about myself. I was not as confident before COVID. But afterward, I became more self-reliant.

When did you start owning a business? And what do you do?

So, I started practicing in September of last year, and I made my first selling order in October. I sell chocolate-covered treats but specialize in strawberries. I didn’t think it would be successful as it has been because I really only did it since I was bored. But then, I started feeling more of a passion for it and went crazy on materials and stuff, so I took it more seriously.

Why did you decide to sell strawberries?

So before I started doing these, my family used to order a lot of edible arrangements, which are basically fruits covered in chocolate. But their pricing can be a bit expensive, and they don’t really do designs. When I started, I wanted to do something that was more reasonable in pricing and can tell a story. Chocolate-covered strawberries are also super in now and much easier than baking in my opinion.

That seems like a great transition from pre to post-COVID. I’m sure you learned a lot. It was not easy, but I’m glad your business became successful. So, what are your themes in life?

To not be lazy. There are so many opportunities to waste. We’re young. We should chase our dreams. Don’t let people’s opinions get you to stop. You’re always going to make it. You’ll always make it out.

That is a great perspective to have, especially at a young age where a lot can happen. What are your greatest strengths?

Adapting to different surroundings and people. I can converse with a lot of people. I try to find a way to connect with people. I get anxious about meeting new people. But, I still make connections. I believe we all go through the same thing. I find myself wanting to find solutions. We are all going through the same thing.

I think the same way with others, that “we all go through the same thing.” It helps 

with anxiety to understand that everyone is on the same boat. This is something I always have to remind myself of. How would your friends and family describe you?

I’m the youngest of my siblings. I’m not shy and innocent. My friends would describe me as talkative, mostly social and friendly of all the people in my group. I’m outspoken to my family and highly opinionated; I always have something to say.

So then, who did you look up to growing up or even now?

When I was younger, I looked up to my mom. She was sure of what she wanted and went for what she wanted. She was intimidating when I was a kid. She was very independent. What I learned from her was that you don’t always need someone to do something. You don’t need anyone’s opinion to do something. Now, I look up to my mom, sister, and dad. My sister is doing a lot with herself while she’s back. She is also very independent. My dad is sure of who he is. He doesn’t care about what people think he is. He’s very timely and could never get too comfortable doing something.

It’s good that you believed in your parents at a young age and even now. Since we’re talking about this, is religion a big deal for you? Do you believe in God? 

No, I’m less about religion and more about believing in God. I don’t believe in the strict routines, and I’m not picky to just Catholics. I’m not set on one religion. I just pray and believe in God.

You said that you’re flexible and you don’t practice it but you believe in God. So now my next question is what makes you believe in God? What inspires you to believe in Him? Has believing in God helped you in certain areas in your life?

I feel like there’ve been very serious moments in my life where God has proven to me that He hears me. Although I don’t go to church often, I speak with God and feel close to Him. I think praying and talking has taught me to be more faithful and believe that God can help me handle anything I’m given. There have been moments where I can feel so low in my life, and I just pray or even ask Him to send me a sign; I feel like the sign is given to me.

I can understand that. Now based on your responses, it seems that you have grown a lot over the years. So can I ask what situation in your life shaped the person you have become?

I was rebellious as a kid. I didn’t think my mom understood me as a kid. I felt like I had to do more. I eventually had a bad relationship with my mom as a consequence of being rebellious. But this situation helped my growth and made me become more open-minded. I learned to become more vocal about how I felt. I used to do certain things because I wasn’t good at expressing myself. I became more open and honest with myself and learned how to be okay with being wrong and how to fix things. I learned about real friends versus the not-so-good ones. Now, I’m more picky with who I open up to. I feel better being alone and more independent and confident with that. I became more mature and positive.

Through Paola’s responses, we were able to discuss and elaborate on very personal topics. She discusses her growth from the beginning of COVID and her business. We touched on topics of faith, what she learned from the people she looks up to, and how the lessons she learned formed her into the person she is today. I made sure to provide a safe and comfortable space for her to talk about those topics. As we went forward with the interview, I realized how similar we are. I learned a lot from her, and now I carry my own lessons from this interview.